I have been teaching guitar since 1998 so I have some teaching years under my belt.
About my teaching
First of all I always ask what are my guitar student’s expectations and goals, as we will work on these particular things. That is if the guitar student knows what he/she wants. If he/she doesn’t know, then I will help to find out what would be the best things to learn first.
Some of my current teaching methods for you
- I teach you HOW TO LEARN. So you don’t need me all of your life and you can learn songs on your own whenever you want afterwards.
- Theory and different methods for improvising over jazz chord changes.
- Learning all of the notes on the fret board and the best ways how to approach this.
- Jazz guitar chords and comping.
- Jazz comping together with walking bass.
- Rhythm training (bossa nova, funk, odd time signatures, reading and understanding written rhythms, metronome practice and more)
- Jazz theory or Music theory – how the chords are built, understanding of keys, best ways to apply theory on the guitar.
- Best ways to practice scales on the guitar, the use of scales and how to put them into action.
- Blues guitar lessons! – some cool ways to play blues comping and improvisation examples.
- Jazz standards – comping, scales, chords, arpeggios, examples for improvisation practice, jazz guitar comping with a walking bass line…
- Jazz chord and melody arrangements and fingerstyle. We can pick any jazz tune and I can guide student to build his arrangement based on new chord voicings we would learn in the process.
- I look at 2 – 4 different things in each guitar lesson, so it wouldn’t only be plain theory or only chords or scales. However, I always ask about your expectations. If you want only music theory I am also happy to just teach that!
- If we are learning a particular song, I make sure you understand what you are doing.
- I also prepare for Trinity classical guitar and RockSchool electric guitar grade exams (UK).
- I want you to have fun as well! I always come up with ways you can practice new chords, scales, licks and rhythms.
Book a lesson with me ( in London or on Skype)
Check some of the Etudes I have written.